Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Let's Meet Some of our Great Volunteers!

We have to start with a huge THANK YOU to all of our volunteers!  We have wonderful volunteers at Daniels Run!  Each of them contributes greatly to a school that they care about and we always encourage others to do the same.  Let's find out about a few of our great parents!

Daphne Palomino


Names and ages of children?
Sabrina, age 6

What is your favorite event at Daniels Run Elementary?
I don't know!  International Night what you get to know other cultures and countries, try different food, and thing from other countries.

How do you get involved at school?
Well, the truth is at the beginning I got involved by attending English classes.  Then I volunteered in the Family Resource Center.  I make projects for teacher, go on field trips and help with parties, like the Valentine's Day party.  Besides that, I come and eat lunch with my daughter.

Advice for busy parent not sure how to volunteer?
Maybe they can find time to do something once.  Once a year, once a month, once a week.  It doesn't matter-you can do it.

Best thing about living in Fairfax?
I am comparing it to my country, Peru.  I like it because it's not a big city.  It's quite calm.  You can do activities outside and walk around without fear.  I like the diversity too.  I've met many people from Africa, Asia, and Europe.

Katy Malesky


Names and ages of children?
Kendal, 8
Kelsey, 7
Joshua, 4

What is your favorite event at Daniels Run Elementary?
Spring Fling.  It's a fun family activity for the end of the school year.  We have the opportunity to raise funds for the PTA.

How do you get involved at school?
I am fortunate to have a flexible schedule that allows me to volunteer in a variety of different capacities.  I am co-chair of both the spring fling and fall ball, room parent for my children's classes, and I like to help teachers with their Thursday Folders, field trips and special events like Tribeology and Seussercize.

Advice for busy parents not sure how to volunteer?
I strongly encourage parents to talk with their teachers as well as visit the Family Resource Center.  In combination either avenue is likely to suggest a way you can contribute your time.  It's an ongoing partnership between the school and the parents.

Best thing about living in Fairfax City?
I love the diverse community.  The opportunities-there's something here for everybody: sports, the arts and the endless resources.

Haewon Cho


Name and ages of children?
Sooho, 22
Manho, 21
Inho, 10

What is your favorite event at Daniels Run Elementary?
Seussercize.  There are many different games like pizza box delivery, hula hoop relay, and other fun stations.

How do you get involved at school?
The parent liaison asked if I wanted to get involved in the library, so I started that way.  I have been volunteering here for almost 11 years.  My older children volunteered in the library when they were in high school.  I now volunteer in the library every week and every chance I get I volunteer for other events.

Advice for busy parents not sure how to volunteer?
I invite parents who do not normally volunteer and tell them when there are special events, maybe then they can get more involved with their kid's class.  The best way for people to find out about how to volunteer is to ask another volunteer.

Best thing about living in Fairfax City?
Location.  Fairfax County Public Schools has a great reputation and Fairfax City is safe for kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment